Georgia Congregational Church Collection
The Georgia Vermont Congregational Church Papers, 1803-1940, contain correspondence, letters of admonition and excommunication, subscription and membership lists, minutes of meetings, deeds, and other documents relating to the church. There are also some Colton family papers and other papers relating to the town of Georgia. Notable correstpondents include: Ira Hinkley, Luther Blodgett, Walter Colton, Charles C. Torrey, Harvey Colton, Israel Joslin, Seymore Eggleston and Charles W. Clark. The papers have been arranged chronologically.
- Congregational Church. (Georgia, Vt.) (Organization)
Collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Curator of Manuscripts.
1.0 Linear feet
The Georgia Vermont Congregational Church Papers, 1803-1940, contain correspondence, letters of admonition and excommunication, subscription and membership lists, minutes of meetings, deeds, and other documents relating to the church.
The Georgia Congregational Church was formed in 1793 by Rev. Smith, and seventeen persons became members. For the next ten years, there was a controversy over the appointment of a minister, so a number of ministers officiated on trial until 1803 when the Rev. Publius Booge of Winchester, Connecticut was settled over the church. Booge, a Yale College graduate, filled the pastorage until October 20, 1813. In 1815 the church and society extended an inivitation to Rev. Eben H. Dorman, a licentiate, to settle over them and the church in Fairfax. Dorman resigned from the Fairfax church in 1823, but continued to serve Georgia until 1824. Rev. Dana Lamb, a University of Vermont student and resident of the town, served as interim pastor until 1828 when Luther P. Blodgett was appointed. After Blodgett's dismissal in 1830, a contention arose among the members, and the church split into two factions. The conservatives organized a new church, erected a new house of worship, and appointed George Ranslow as minister in 1833. Nogotiations followed, and the factions were reunited in 1837. A considerable portion of the collection deals with this controversy and union. In 1919 the Congrational Church accepted an invitation from the Methodist Church to join the latter.
Silver Special Collections, Howe Library; contact firstname.lastname@example.org for access.
- Colton, A.M., The Old Meeting House and Vacation Papers Humorous and Other collected for publication by G.Q. Colton (New York, 1890).
- Colton, G.Q., Boyhood Recollections: A Story With a Moral (New York, 1891).
- Anderson's Grammar School United States [ including a history of Vermont ], [ ca. 1880 ].
- Guide to the Georgia Congregational Church Collection, 1803-1940
- Language of description