Guy Catlin Papers
The Guy Catlin Papers contain family and business papers relating to Alexander Catlin of Litchfield, Moses Catlin of Litchfield and Burlington, Guy Catlin of Burlington, and Lynde Catlin of New York City. There are also papers concerning the affairs of John B., Albert L., Alexander, and H.W. Catlin of Burlington. The papers are arranged chronologically, and many of the general folders contain lists of contents.
Collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Curator of Manuscripts.
0.4 Linear Feet (1 box)
Guy Catlin (1782-1853) moved to Vermont during the 1790's, joining his brother Moses in Burlington. Guy Catlin formed the Lake Champlain Steamboat Co., later Champlain Transportation Co., in 1813. In 1830, in partnership with his brother Moses, Guy erected the Burlington Flour Mill at Winooski Falls. Three years later the Winooski Manufacturing Co. was incorporated. The Guy Catlin papers contain family and business papers relating to Alexander Catlin of Litchfield, CT, Moses Catlin (1770-1842) of Litchfield and Burlington, VT, Guy Catlin of Burlington, and Lynde Catlin of New York City.
- Moses Catlin born in Litchfield, Conn.
- Guy Catlin born in Litchfield
- Moses Catlin emigrated to Burlington and settled on his wife's (Lucinda Allen, daughter of Heman Allen) lands
- Guy Catlin joined his brother in Burlington
- Moses elected selectman of Burlington
- Albert L. Catlin born
- Guy and others formed the Lake Champlain Steamboat Co. which later consolidated with the Champlain Transportation Co.
- Guy and others built the steamboat "The Congress" at Vergennes. It was later sold to the Champlain Transportation Co.
- Alexander Catlin graduated from University of Vermont
- Moses and Guy erected the Burlington Flouring Mill at Winooski Falls
- Winooski Manufacturing Co. incorporated by Guy and others
- Moses Catlin died
- Guy's wife Melinda Wadhams died
- A.L. Catlin serves as representative from Orwell, VT.
- A.L. Catlin serves as Collector of the Port of Burlington
- Guy Catlin died
- A.L. Catlin elected director and president of the Rutland Railroad
- A.L. Catlin served as first mayor of the City of Burlington
- H.W. Catlin began wholesale flour trade
- Albert L. Catlin died
Silver Special Collections, Billings Library.
- Burlington (Vt.) -- Transportation
- Burlington Flour Mill
- Businessmen -- Vermont -- Burlington
- Catlin family
- Catlin, Alexander
- Catlin, Guy 1782-1853
- Catlin, Lynde-
- Catlin, Moses 1770-1842
- Lake Champlain Steamboat Company
- Lake Champlain Transportation Company
- Litchfield (Conn.)
- Millers -- Vermont -- Burlington
- Receipts (financial records)
- Winooski Manufacturing Company
- Guide to the Guy Catlin Papers
- © 1998
- Description rules
- Language of description