Skip to main content

R.B. Stearns and Company Records

 Collection
Identifier: mss-526

Scope and Content Note

The R. B. Stearns and Co. Papers include letter books for years 1865-1895, a cash book for 1870-1873, a day book for 1878, and bills and receipts for 1890 and 1898-1899. There are also bills, receipts and some correspondence belonging to A. C. Booth for the years 1806-1809 which includes letters relating to a number of inventions which he tried to patent including a bottle opener and toothbrush handle. Bills and receipts for 1911-1912 are addressed to W. J. Henderson and Co. when the papers were received, the bills were filed alphabetically by company names. This arrangement has been retained for each group of years. The bound volumes have been placed at the end of papers. Boxes 6 and 7 contain Bank Books and Check Stub Books found after the collection was originally inventoried.

Dates

  • 1865-1916

Creator

Language of Materials

English

Access:

Collection is open for research.

Publication Rights:

All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Curator of Manuscripts.

Historical Note

Riley B. Stearns began his career in pharmacy in J. K. Roby's drug store at 172 College Street in Burlington. The firm was established in 1840 by T. S. Peek (?), was operated by Roby in the 1860's and passed to Stearns about 1870 as R. B. Stearns and Co. with A. C. Tuttle as assistant. W. J. Henderson entered the business as clerk in 1884, and advanced to assistant in 1892. In 1900, when Stearns moved the business to 75 Church Street, Henderson took over all premises on College Street and opened the Park Drug Store which was also known as W. J. Henderson and Co. Stearns died in 1902 and was succeeded by Louis H. Luck and Mason Beebe consecutively in the Church Street business. In the same year, Alba C. Booth joined Henderson and Co. as a clerk, and advanced to partnership with James B. Henderson in 1907. Booth became owner of the Park Drug Store in 1917 and continued on in the business until 1942. The business passed into the hands of Louis N. Turner in 1943, and remained at 172 College Street until it closed in 1958.

Extent

5.75 Linear Feet (7 boxes, 2 volumes)

Overview

The R. B. Stearns and Co. Records include letter books for years 1865-1895, a cash book for 1870-1873, a day book for 1878, and bills and receipts for 1890 and 1898-1899, all conncerning the business of the pharmacy.

Physical Location

Library Research Annex; contact uvmsc@uvm.edu for access.

Creator

Title
Guide to the R.B. Stearns and Company Records, 1865-1916
Status
Completed
Date
2003
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the University of Vermont Libraries, Special Collections Repository

Contact:
Silver Special Collections Library
48 University Place, Room B201
Burlington Vermont 05405 U.S.A. US
(802) 656-2138
(802) 656-4038 (Fax)