Skip to main content

Walker Grocery Company Account Books

 Collection
Identifier: mss-014

Scope and Content Note

The collection comprises a nearly complete set of the account books and ledgers of the Walker grocery businesses from 1894 through 1905. Included are cash journals, records of sales, rent, bills received, accounts receivable and payable, etc. There are also the articles of association and by-laws for the incoporation of the Walker Grocery Company in 1899, and the minutes of the corporation's board of directors from 1899 to 1905. A few of the columes contain scattered accounts for 1906-07, after the Walker Grocery Company had gone out of business. The volumes have been arranged chronologically, with some overlapping.

Dates

  • 1894-1907

Creator

Access

Collection is open for research.

Publication Rights

All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Curator of Manuscripts.

Historical Note

Obadiah Johnson Walker was born in Ferrisburg, VT, on January 6, 1828, and entered the grocery store business at the age of 15 in the Burlington store of his uncle, Solomon Walker. In 1856, Walker helped found Van Sicklen and Walker and remained with that firm until about 1877, when he left to buy out E.W. Peck and Co. and establish O.J. Walker and Brothers. From their store at 170 College Street, the Walker brothers (O.J., William W. and Hiram) built a large wholesale grocery business, with annual sales of over $500,000 in the mid- 1880s. The Walkers moved their operation to 164 College Street in 1895, when they added several of their sons to the partnership and changed the name to O.J. Walker and Co. Obadiah Johnson Walker died on March 28, 1897, and William W. Walker and Hiram Walker on February 22, 1899 and August 5, 1899 repectively. Despite the loss of the founders, however, the business went on under the title Walker Grocery Company, incorporated on March 28, 1899. The corporation continued operations into the early years of the twentieth century, but only as an estate venture to benefit the heirs of the three founding Walker brothers. By 1907, the Walker Grocery Company was out of business, and its property and stock bought up by other local grocery wholesalers.

Extent

8 Linear Feet (21 volumes)

Abstract

The collection comprises a nearly complete set of the account books and ledgers of the Walker grocery businesses from 1894 through 1905. Included are cash journals, records of sales, rent, bills received, accounts receivable and payable, etc. There are also the articles of association and by-laws for the incoporation of the Walker Grocery Company in 1899, and the minutes of the corporation's board of directors from 1899 to 1905. A few of the columes contain scattered accounts for 1906-07, after the Walker Grocery Company had gone out of business. The volumes have been arranged chronologically, with some overlapping.

Location

Library Research Annex; contact uvmsc@uvm.edu for access.
Title
Guide to the Walker Grocery Company Account Books
Status
Completed
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the University of Vermont Libraries, Special Collections Repository

Contact:
Silver Special Collections Library
48 University Place, Room B201
Burlington Vermont 05405 U.S.A. US
(802) 656-2138
(802) 656-4038 (Fax)