Bertha Sanford Dodge Papers
Scope and Content
The Bertha Sanford Dodge Collection contains manuscripts of her books with editorial corrections and suggested changes, galley proofs, and a selection of Dorothy Canfield Fisher letters which have been placed with the Dorothy Canfield Fisher Collection. Recently added to the collection are materials pertaining to the League of Vermont Writers.
Language of Materials
Collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Curator of Manuscripts.
Bertha Sanford Dodge was born in Cambridge, Massachusetts on March 23, 1902, married Carroll W. Dodge (Botanist and Emeritus Professor at the University of Vermont) in 1925 and gave birth to two daughters, Anne (Hooper) and Mary (Van Citters). Mrs. Dodge received her A.B. at Radcliffe and her M.S. at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1920 and 1922 respectively. She spent most of her life teaching high school and first year college science courses. In 1944 she ran a year-long radio program on the St. Louis (M0.) City Hospital. She was an International Institute Board Member from 1956 to 1959, and is currently a member of the National Writers' Club and the Society of Technical Writers. Her writings include: Introduction to Chemistry (1948), The Story of Nursing (1954), Plants that Changed the World (1959), This is Engineeering (Ms. title Engineering is Like This) (1963), Hands That Help (1967), Potatoes and People (1970) and various short stories. Mrs. Dodge has traveled extensively in Latin America, speaks Spanish and German and reads Portugese and French. She is interested in textiles and weavings, and her collection of Guatemalan Indian weavings has been exhibited in museums.
2.4 Linear Feet (6 boxes)
The Bertha Sanford Dodge Collection contains manuscripts of her books with editorial corrections and suggested changes, galley proofs, and a selection of Dorothy Canfield Fisher letters which have been placed with the Dorothy Canfield Fisher Collection.
Library Research Annex; contact firstname.lastname@example.org for access.
Box 1 and 2 were donated by Mrs. Carroll (Bertha S.) Dodge on Jan 14, 1971 at Burlington, Vermont. Subsequent additions have been donated by Mrs. Dodge throughout the 1970s and 1980s.
- Guide to the Bertha Sanford Dodge Papers
- Description rules
- Language of description