Harold J. Arthur Collection
Harold J. Arthur served as governor of Vermont from January 1950 to December 1951, completing the term left vacant when Ernest W. Gibson received an appointment as a federal judge. Prior to that, Arthur had held a wide variety of offices with emphasis on agriculture, charitable, civic, and fraternal causes at the local, state and national level. This collection covers his term as Governor of Vermont.
Language of Materials
Language of Materials
Collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Curator of Manuscripts.
Born Feb. 9, 1904 in Whitehall, N. Y.; reared on farms in Addison and Rutland Counties; educated in common schools of Bethel, Hubbardton, and Orwell, Vermont; graduated Brandon High School, class of 1922; attended Bay Path Institute; graduated Albany Business College; clerk in Brandon National Bank, 1923-1926;. manager, wholesale & retail mercantile business l926-l928; Executive Manager for Gov. John E. Weeks 1927-1929; associated with Ambassador Warren R. Austin as stenographer, student and attorney 1928-1940; admitted to Vermont Bar 1932, U. S. District Court 1934; in active law practice as head of firm of Arthur & Arthur after 1940; held LL. B. degree LaSalle Extension University; LL. D (Honorary) Norwich University 1950; member American, State and County Bar Associations; member of 86th Brigade, Vt. National Guard since enlisting as Pvt., Co. K. 1928; inducted with Gen. Wing's 43rd Div. in 1941, reverted to Vermont National Guard in May 1946; ass't Judge Advocate General A.A.F. four years with rank of major; State Supt.. U. S. Employment Service 1928-1934; president Young Republican Club and ass' t grand juror of Burlington, 1934-1935; practiced before Interstate Commerce Commission in Washington since 1938; Civic Service Chairman, Boy Scouts of America 1935-1939; pres. State Elks Association 1939-1940, present State Chairman Americanism Committee; Master Vt. State Grange 1946-1958, Gen. Chairman. National Grange Convention held in Vt. 1953; honorary member of Future Farmers of America; director F. F. A. Foundation; director Patrons Coop. Fire Ins. Co., National Grange Mutual Liability Co., director Eastern States Exposition; past Commander American Legion Post # 2, Department Chairman of 1959 Lake Champlain Festival; past Commander Burlington Commandery #2 K. T.; served as trustee of University of Vermont; justice of the peace; attorney for towns of Charlotte and St. George; Grand Counselor of New England Council U. C. T.; Dept. Judge Advocate of Legion of Guardsmen; member of Eagles, Elks, Farm Bureau, Grange, K of P, Masons, Odd Fellows, 0. E. S. Scottish Rite; Shrine; national delegate for Sons of the American Revolution; former trustee and delegate for the First Congregational Society of Burlington; Chairman, Vermont Highway Users Conference 1955-1958; serving as Washington delegate on laws, Safety and Tax committees at three biennial sessions; pres. Vermont. Association for the Blind, Inc., 1954-1958; member Burlington Lake Champlain Chamber of Commerce; appeared before Congressional Committees, Federal Boards and Commissions; chief legislative counselor of Green Mt. Boys' State since 1938; honorary member of Vt. Bricklayers' Union # 4; Vt. representative of National Sojourners; ass't clerk of Vt. House of Representatives 1931-1939; chief clerk and parliamentarian 1939-1941-1943-1947-1949; compiled and published "House Precedents" a parliamentary guide for legislative members and officials; Lieut. Governor 1949-1950; Governor 1950-1951, when Gov. Ernest W. Gibson resigned to become U. S. District Judge; has served on various boards, commissions, conferences with emphasis on agricultural, charitable, civic and fraternal causes at local, State and National levels. Has visited 30 State Capitols and 48 States. Unsuccessful Republican candidate for U.S. House in 1950 and 1958; died July 19, 1971 at Plattsburgh (N.Y.) Air Force Base Hospital, from cancer. He was 67; buried in Burlington's Lakeview Cemetery; survived by his wife, Mary C. (Alafat) Arthur, a daughter, Portia M. Arthur.
Located in Library Research Annex.
- Inventory of the Harold J. Arthur Collection, 1950-1951
- Language of description