Athena Club Records
Scope and Content Note
The Athena Club Records consist of Vermont Federation of Women's Club handbooks, yearbooks, minutes of meetings, scrapbooks, reports, ephemera, clippings, account books, and postcards from around the world.
- Athena Club (Organization)
Collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Curator of Manuscripts.
In the fall of 1903, a group of four women were invited by Misses Ella and Bessie Brown for an afternoon of sewing, tea, and conversation at 214 Maple Street in Burlington, Vermont. It was soon suggested that they meet once per week to participate in similar activities. In February 1904, a proposal was made to form a club, and invite other women to join. In the spring of 1904, a constitution was adopted, a program prepared, and a club name chosen. Members chose to call their club the "Book and Thimble Club." Elected officers were as follows: Jean Stone as President, Angie F. Andrews as Vice President, Grace White as Secretary, and Eva J. Richmond as Treasurer. Weekly meetings began the first Friday in October, and ended the first Friday in June, with annual dues of twenty-five cents. In June 1907, the name was changed to the "Athena Club," named after a Greek goddess who was a patron of the arts. In 1911, the club joined the State Federation of Women's Clubs
Throughout the club's lifespan, members largely focused on civic service. The club provided scholarships, took part in charitable work during the world wars, raised money for local non-profits, and more. The club was comprised of many different departments, ranging from music and civics, to home economics and history. In the years 1923-1924, Mrs. Calvin Coolidge was made an honorary member.
In 1913, members helped organize the first women's public restroom in Vermont, with Mrs. Stone, Mrs. Hall, and Mrs. Brown working to keep the project before the city aldermen. In the years 1914-1915, members secured a placed to meet, renting rooms at the Delta Mu Society. In 1918, the club pushed the city of Burlington to hire a female police officer. By 1925 their 150 members were part of the Athena Club, promoting projects which ranged from installing traffic lights to building the Burlington airport. In April of that same year, the club purchased the Mower property at 328 Pearl Street to use as a clubhouse.
By 2003, membership had decreased to 39 members. In September 2003, the club donated the house to the University of Vermont under the agreement that the university would sell the property as a single family home, and subsequently use the proceeds of the sale to create scholarships for Vermont students.
6.67 Linear Feet (4 cartons, 4 boxes)
Language of Materials
The Athena Club Records document the activities of the club from its founding to the mid-1990s. The record types consist of Vermont Federation of Women's Club handbooks, yearbooks, minutes of meetings, scrapbooks, reports, ephemera, clippings, account books, and postcards from around the world.
Library Research Annex; contact email@example.com for access.
- Guide to the Athena Club Records
- April 2023
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description