Alfred K. Ballard Pottery Co. Records
Scope and Content
The Alfred K. Ballard Papers consist of information about the day to day activities of his pottery business. Pottery Invoices and receipts make up the bulk of the collection. The dates of the collection span 1860-1892 but most of the papers are from the 1870's.
The collection basically is divided into two parts. The first is business papers of the company and is arranged chronologically. The second part is made up of information about certain individuals: Loan applications, bankruptcy proceedings, and receipts. This is arranged alphabetically.
Collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Curator of Manuscripts.
About the year 1830, E.L. Farrar built a pottery company on the south side of Pearl Street between St. Paul and Church Streets. In 1850 the Ballard Brothers, Orin L. (b. 1825), Alfred K. (1827-1874), and Hiram (1829-1883) bought the company. They enlarged the establishment, but in 1867 the company was dissolved. Alfred Ballard founded a new company which he held until 1874. After his death, the company was sold to Franklin Woodworth. Woodworth continued in the pottery business until 1896. When he sold the company, the pottery became a dye manufactory. At present (December, 1979) the building houses a restaurant.
0.4 Linear Feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
The Alfred K. Ballard Papers consist of information about the day to day activities of his pottery business. Pottery Invoices and receipts make up the bulk of the collection.
Library Research Annex; contact email@example.com for access.
- Guide to the Alfred K. Ballard Pottery Co. Records
- Processor: unknown.
- © 1997
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note