Skip to main content

Klifa Club Records

Identifier: mss-710

Scope and Contents

The Klifa Club Records document the activities of the club from its founding (1900) until 1971. The record types consist of Governing Board meeting minutes and reports, committee reports, officer reports, articles of association, 9 ledgers of member accounts and treasurer's records, a scrapbook relating to the restoration of the clubhouse, and a scrapbook relating to some early activities of the Civic Committee.


  • 1900-1974

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research.

Publication Rights

All requests to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Curator of Manuscripts.

Historical Note

The Klifa Club was founded in 1900 in Burlington, VT. Formed by 12 founding members, the Klifa Club, named after the Icelandic word for "to climb," was created with the purpose of "mutual improvement of its members in literature, art, science, and the vital and social interests of the day."

The first meeting to discuss the formation of the club was held on October 11, 1900 in the home of Miss Mary Van Patten. At the third meeting, held on October 23, a Miss Richardson was chosen as the chairman of the Governing Board. The other chosen officers were as follows: Mary Van Patten as chair of the House Committee, Mary Hager as chair of the Program Committee, Fannie Grinnell as chair of the Entertainment Committee, Ada Platt as chairman of the Finance Committee, Anna Wells as Treasurer, and Anna Pope as Secretary.

Throughout the club's lifespan, activities were largely focused on social events, with members hosting regular afternoon teas, as well as invited speakers. The club also dedicated their time to participating in community events and charitable causes. In 1914, club members contributed to the adoption of a nine-hour labor law for Vermont women and children, as well as helped raise awareness for children's health issues in public schools. In 1919, the club won an award for the most artistic float in the "Welcome Home Troops" parade after World War I. In 1924, a home located at 324 Pearl Street was donated to the club to use as a meeting and event space. During World War II, the club partnered with the American Red Cross by offering the home for classes in first aid, nutrition, and home nursing.

The club occupied the home at 324 Pearl Street until July 2011, when the club closed its doors due to declining membership. The club donated the building to the Vermont Community Foundation, who used the proceeds from the sale to create a charitable fund in the Klifa Club's name.


3.08 Linear Feet (10 oversize volumes, 2 boxes, 1 carton)

Language of Materials



Collection contains ledgers of member accounts and treasurer's records, scrapbooks of photographs and clippings, a scrapbook related to the restoration of the clubhouse, and papers including board meeting minutes and reports.

Physical Location

Library Research Annex; contact for access.

Guide to the Klifa Club Records
2023 April
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description

Repository Details

Part of the University of Vermont Libraries, Special Collections Repository

Silver Special Collections Library
48 University Place, Room B201
Burlington Vermont 05405 U.S.A. US
(802) 656-2138
(802) 656-4038 (Fax)