Shelburne Spinners Records
Scope and Content Note
The records of the Shelburne Spinners occupy two cartons, and an extra loose-leaf binder and consist chiefly of seventeen (17) loose-leaf binders. Samples of dyed wool are included with the dye recipes and formulae. This collection, well-organized upon receipt at the library, lacks correspondence and business records; however, nearly all the records for internal management of the co-operative are present, e.g., minutes of weekly meeting for four (4) years, newsletters for three (3) years, dye recipes for five (5) years.
- Shelburne Spinners (Organization)
Collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Curator of Manuscripts.
The Shelburne Spinners was begun in February, 1972, by two women D'Ann Fago, director of the Vermont Arts and Crafts Service, and Marilyn Leimonstell. Originally financed by the state of Vermont and later by the New England Regional Commission, the Shelburne Spinners was a co-operative designed to provide employment for skilled women on welfare and to help preserve one of Vermont's oldest industries, sheep-raising and spinning. Although the group originated in Shelburne, VT, prior to 1974 it moved to Burlington. The Spinners disbanded in early 1978.
1 Linear Feet (2 Boxes, 1 loose-leaf binder)
Language of Materials
The collection contains the records for internal management of the co-operative, e.g., minutes of weekly meeting for four years, newsletters for three years, dye recipes for five years.
Library Research Annex.
The collection was presented by Karla Fenelli of the Shelburne Spinners in April 1978.
1. The Family Creative Workshop, 17 (NY, Plenary Publications, 1976) removed and cataloged for general book collection. The chapter by Vicki Fraser "Spinning, from Sheep to Sweater" has been reserved for this collection.
2. "Vermonters Spin a Good Yarn" a video-tape of the Shelburne Spinners. Sent to the Vermont Film Archive, Waterman Building, UVM, May 1978.
- Shelburne Spinners Records, 1972-1978
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note