Vermont Ecumenical Council Records
Scope and Content Note
The Vermont Ecumenical Council Records include correspondence, minutes of meetings, financial records and other materials which comprise the archives of the Vermont Bible Society (1812-1969), the Vermont Sunday School Association (186301931) and the Vermont Council of Religious Education (1926-1962), as well as the Vermont Council of Churches (1936-1966) and its predecessor, the Vermont Ecumenical Council. Important sub-series include: Vacation Church School (1946-1966), Vermont Council of United Church Women (1952-1957), Turrell Fund (1939-1953), Summer Projects (1936-1964), Department of Camps and Conferences (1952-1967), Buck Lake Christian Camp (1951-1790), and the Killington-Pico Ecumenical Project (1967-1969).
The most extensive of the Vermont Church Council activities represented in this collection is the Summer Projects, a home missionary summer program to be carried out in neglected rural areas. This program included vacation schools, youth activities, recreation, used-clothing sales, church services and health work, all in a religious framework. Reports of the progress and economic conditions of 153 Vermont towns, a valuable resource, can be found in the Summer Projects files.
- Vermont Ecumenical Council and Bible Society (Organization)
Collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Curator of Manuscripts.
19 Linear Feet (19 cartons)
Language of Materials
Collection includes correspondence, minutes of meetings, and financial and other records, of the council, known originally as Vermont Council of Churches; and records of Vermont Bible Society (1812-1969), Vermont Sunday School Association (1863-1931), and Vermont Council of Religious Education (1926-62).
Library Research Annex
- Bible -- Publication and distribution -- Societies,etc.
- Buck Lake Christian Camp (Date of work--1951-1953; )
- Department of Camps and Conferences (Date of work--1952-1967; )
- Killington-Pico Ecumenical Project (Date of work--1967-1969; )
- New England -- Rural conditions -- Case studies
- Religion and social problems
- Religious camps -- Vermont
- Religious education -- United States -- Vermont
- Terrell Fund (Date of work--1938-1953; )
- Vermont Bible Society (Date of work--1812-1969; )
- Vermont Council of Churches
- Vermont Council of Religious Education (Date of work--1926-1962; )
- Vermont Council of United Church Women (Date of work--1952-1957; )
- Guide to the Vermont Ecumenical Council Records
- Finding aid prepared by D. Cunningham
- 1977 May
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the University of Vermont Libraries, Special Collections Repository
Silver Special Collections Library
48 University Place, Room B201
Burlington Vermont 05405 U.S.A. US
(802) 656-4038 (Fax)